Maya Laemmel Ziegler is a psychologist with over 30 years experience in working with adults and children. Graduating with a Ph.D. from UCLA in 1985 and licensed as a psychologist in 1989, she has worked in both L.A. and Orange counties over the course of her career.
In the past, her experience has often been with children in schools (LAUSD), foster family agencies, and medical settings (UCLA and CHOC). Receiving training in Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Guided Imagery/Meditation techniques further enhanced her. She has been in private practice in Newport Beach for the past ten years, primarily working with adults with relationship issues, depression, anxiety, fertility problems and grief/
Throughout the years, Dr. Ziegler has presented at national conferences on parenting issues and learning problems, and given led Grand Rounds for physicians on stress reduction.
Dr. Ziegler is an interactive, solution-focused therapist. She views herself as a specialized "teacher", who helps focus and identify the prominent triggers and issues that are making her clients feel bad. Through a variety of techniques, she aids in focusing her clients on the trigger issues, and developing a repertoire of coping skills.
- B.A. in Psychology, State University of New York, 1977
- M.A. in Educational Psychology, UCLA, 1979
- Ph.D. in Education/Counseling Psychology, 1985 Dr. Barbara Keogh, UCLA Professor Emeritus, Dissertation Chair
- 1979-1987 School Psychologist, L.A. Unified School District
- 1987-1989 School Reintegration Coordinator, Dept. of Pedicatric Oncology, UCLA
- 1987-1989 Community College Counselor, Citrus Community College, Glendora
- 1989-1991 Pediatric Medical Psychologist, Children's Hospital of Orange County
- Coordinator of Speech and Language Assessment Program
- 1991-1998 Private Practice, Primarily devoted to assessment and consultation with group homes and foster families
- 2003-present Adult oriented practice in Newport Beach
1989 Psychologist License, California #PSY11215
1985 Community College Teaching Credential, Psychology
1985 Community College Counseling Credential
1979 School Psychologist Credential
Professional Activities and Memberships
Member of the American Psychological Association and California Psychological Association